Monday, September 11, 2006

 

In the 'Stan

I am now in country...nothing much has changed since I left in December 04.
A bit upset that it has taken me this long to get back here, but that's another story.
No pictures yet, my days have been filled with meetings.

What I have seen is that the Afghan people seem dedicated to improving their standard of living. They want an effective National Army and Police Force.

There are signs of progress. There are even more cell-phones than 2 years ago. In ministry buildings, I have noticed more computers. Leaders are buying into long-term planning...this is significant in a country where day-to-day survival was not a given for the last 30 years.

The Taliban are stepping up their activity in and around Kabul, but they are killing more fellow Afghans than military personnel. Despite this increased activity, life goes on. There were additional police on the streets today, and it was relatively quiet here in town.

So far the visit is going well. More to follow, and I hope with some photographs.




Comments:
Awesome! Glad to hear that you had a safe trip. I hope everything else in the coming days goes smoothly.

Best of luck!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?