Friday, October 22, 2004

 

Elections in Afghanistan

We recently saw something amazing here in Afghanistan. Over 10 million Afg han citizens registered to vote. Nearly half of them exercised that right on 9 October. The violence that was expected did not happen for the most part. There has never been an election of any kind in Afghanistan, the rule of the gun was the way power was established and maintained.
This is a big deal. I am not sure how this was reported in the U.S. Since I was on my way here but I hope that the story of progress being made here is being reported.
There is so much good work being done by so many here, and from what I can tell, the Afghan people genuinely appreciate what the international community is doing for them. Makes me proud to be here.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?